No matter how we approach food preparation in the kitchen, we all default to the things we know and like best. So to push boundaries, the Three Points cooks launched the Three Cubed Project.
The arbitrary plan is this: We crack open a cookbook, make what is on Page 327 and document the results. (When the book is shorter, we go down to Page 227 or 127 or 27, depending on what is first available.) We’re starting with Page 327 because it starts with 3 (did we mention this was arbitrary?) and, if we stuck with a simple 3-cubed model (Page 27), we’d likely be making a whole lot of salad dressing or, if it’s an older church cook book, Jell-O salads. And nothing good can come of that.
Along the way, we hope to enhance our repertoire and discover new favorites. At worst, we might foist some questionable concoctions on friends and family. But there’s no such thing as a free lunch, amigos!
We’ll track the results here. Feel free to join in the fun.
- Cuba Calling (Cuba Cocina!)
- Don’t Try This at Home (A Treasury of Southern Baking)
- Living on Cayman Time (The Governor’s Lady: Entertainment & Recipes at Government House, The Cayman Islands)
- Summer Blonde (Baked: New Frontiers in Baking)
- Banana Salad (Harper’s Cook Book Encyclopedia)
- Rum Diary (Cooking with Wine and High Spirits)
- Orange You Glad (The French Cookie Book)
- Swinging ’70s, 7Up Cake (Cooking with Love and Butter)
- Hog Days of Summer (Mayan Cuisine: Recipes from the Yucatán Region)
- Caribbean Creamsicle (The Sugar Mill Caribbean Cookbook: Casual and Elegant Recipes Inspired by the Islands)
- Move Over, Cream Puff (Kaffehaus)
- Gracious, Miss Lady! (Dinner at Miss Lady’s: Memories and Recipes From a Southern Childhood)
- In the Berry Month of May (Keys Cuisine)
- You Can Tuna Piano… (The Complete Robuchon)
- Czech Please (Favorite Recipes of the Nebraska Czechs)
- Better Than Cake (Flavors of Hungary: Recipes and Memoirs)
- Cheers to the Royal Wedding (Great British Cooking: A Well-Kept Secret)
- Grate Expectations (Baking with Julia)
- B&O Fresh Fruit Shortcake (Dining on the B&O: Recipes and Sidelights from a Bygone Age)
- Sauté de Bouef á la Provençale (Mastering the Art of French Cooking)
- The Gypsy’s Arm (The New Spanish Table)